070205 KU Globalgeschichtliche Theorien, Quellen und Methoden (2015W)
- Anmeldung von Di 01.09.2015 00:00 bis So 20.09.2015 23:59
- Anmeldung von Di 29.09.2015 00:00 bis Mi 30.09.2015 23:59
- Abmeldung bis Sa 31.10.2015 23:59
Termine (iCal) - nächster Termin ist mit N markiert
Ziele, Inhalte und Methode der Lehrveranstaltung
Art der Leistungskontrolle und erlaubte Hilfsmittel
- Collective work on Source-based Essays (including preparation of student’s own Source-based Essay, and discussion of Source-based Essays of all other students): 30%
- Source-based Essay: 50%
- Contribution to general class discussion: 20%
Mindestanforderungen und Beurteilungsmaßstab
- Develop students' capacity to work independently with sources, methods, and theories relevant in the field of global history; preparing them in this way in a very practical manner for the work on their thesis or other larger papers they will write.
First, we will read a few texts which discuss theories, methods, and strategies of writing global history.
Second, we will read and discuss (extracts from) a few selected writings in global history. We will focus in particular on "dissecting" how these texts relate to, convey, or produce theory, and how this enterprise is connected with the selection, use and discussion of sources, and with other methods and strategies of writing history.
Third, we will work individually and as a group on preparing and designing the Source-based Essay (8 pages, double-spaced) which each student will write. This Essay is an experimental piece of writing on, with, and around one or two selected sources, and will probe those theories and methods in global history (i.e. not global studies in general) which the student wishes to use and develop. Students are invited to discover and use a source which is closely related to their prospective thesis in global history, or any other piece of writing in global history they plan to produce.
Fourth, we will discuss the Source-based Essays.