080050 SE Seminar: Brazil in Exhibition: 20th Century Art in Brazil as Viewed in Exhibitions (nst.K.) (2017W)
Moodle; Di 10.10. 14:00-16:00 Seminarraum 3 d. Inst. f. Kunstgeschichte UniCampus Hof 9 3F-EG-25
- Anmeldung von Mi 13.09.2017 10:00 bis Mi 20.09.2017 10:00
- Abmeldung bis Mo 09.10.2017 10:00
Termine (iCal) - nächster Termin ist mit N markiert
The two Lectures in October will be to introduce Brazilian Art in the 20th Century, discuss the four study cases of exhibitions chosen to be analyzed along the course, and to present the main references.
Ziele, Inhalte und Methode der Lehrveranstaltung
Art der Leistungskontrolle und erlaubte Hilfsmittel
The second part of the evaluation will be a final written paper on one of the Brazilian exhibitions chosen for the course and the way they relate to any of the topics above.
For the final written paper, to be handed in individually, this should not exceed 40.000 signs (Time News Roman, 12 pt, 1,5 space), considering the bibliography, notes, and quotations.
Mindestanforderungen und Beurteilungsmaßstab
1. Issues of identity in regard to the notion of Brazilian art
2. What is the Brazilian Avant-Garde?
3. Art and colonial history in Brazil
4. transnationalism and immigration in Brazil
5. Art criticism in the making of Brazilian art historiography
6. High and Low Brow in Brazil
7. “Condemnation to the Modern”
8. Brazilian art and globalization: The case of the São Paulo Biennial
9. The myth of racial democracy in Brazil
10. Internal colonialism and exoticismFor the final paper: Choose one of the exhibitions analyzed in the course, which are:
24th Bienal de São Paulo, 1998, São Paulo – the so-called “Anthropophagy Biennial”, which brought to light the modernist experiences from the second-half of the 1920s into the scene and borrowed from them the notion of “anthropophagy” as a cultural practice
Brazil, Body and Soul, 2001, New York – a synthesized version of the major national exhibition on Brazilian Art that celebrated the 500 years of discovery of the country in São Paulo, 2000 (Mostra do Redescobrimento)
Da Antropofagia a Brasília, 2001-2002, which toured in Spain and in São Paulo and marked the revision and republication of original studies in modern art in Brazil
Histórias mestiças, 2014, São Paulo, which happened only in Brazil, but had an international reception.
Herkenhoff, Paulo & Pedrosa, Adriano (eds.). Cat. Exh. 24a. Bienal de São Paulo: Núcleo histórico: Antropofagia e histórias de canibalismo. São Paulo: Fundação Bienal de São Paulo, 1998.
Pedrosa, Adriano & Schwarcz, Lilia Moritz (eds.). Cat. Exh. Histórias mestiças. Rio de Janeiro: Editora Cobogó, 2014.
Schwarz, Jorge (ed.). Cat. Exh. Da antropofagia a Brasília: Brasil, 1920-1950. São Paulo: Cosac Naify, 2002.
Sullivan, Edward (ed.). Cat. Exp. Brazil Body and Soul. New York: The Guggenheim Museum, 2001.Other 5 short essays will be indicated for reading in October. All in ENGLISH