Universität Wien FIND

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, changes to courses and exams may be necessary at short notice (e.g. cancellation of on-site teaching and conversion to online exams). Register for courses/exams via u:space, find out about the current status on u:find and on the moodle learning platform.

Further information about on-site teaching can be found at https://studieren.univie.ac.at/en/info.

Warning! The directory is not yet complete and will be amended until the beginning of the term.

340100 UE Note-taking technique (2020W)

2.00 ECTS (1.00 SWS), SPL 34 - Translationswissenschaft
Continuous assessment of course work

Registration/Deregistration

Details

max. 30 participants
Language: German

Lecturers

Classes (iCal) - next class is marked with N

Monday 12.10. 12:30 - 14:00 Digital
Monday 09.11. 12:30 - 14:00 Digital
Monday 30.11. 12:30 - 14:00 Digital
Monday 14.12. 12:30 - 14:00 Digital
Monday 11.01. 12:30 - 14:00 Digital
Monday 18.01. 12:30 - 14:00 Digital

Information

Aims, contents and method of the course

This course aims at helping students develop an individual note-taking system as a basis for consecutive interpreting. Following a short theoretical introduction, we will focus on intralingual practice (note-taking exercises, consecutive interpreting). Students will be asked to give peer-to-peer feedback and reflect on their own progress.
It is recommended you take the course Basic Competence Translation B Interpreting before taking this course.

Assessment and permitted materials

Continuous evaluation. Attendance and participation will be expected.

Minimum requirements and assessment criteria

An excellent command of German is required. Participation in class (consecutive interpreting, note-taking exercises, feedback, group work, etc.) will account for 60% of your grade. The remaining 40% are assignments to be completed at home.
Passing grade: 60%
Grading scale: ≥90% = 1, ≥80% = 2, ≥70% = 3, ≥60% = 4
Attendance is mandatory (one absence will be allowed).

Grading:
90% 1
80% 2
70% 3
60% 4
<60% 5 (fail)

You may miss one class with good reason.

Examination topics

Continuous evaluation

Reading list

Andrew Gillies: Note-taking for Consecutive Interpreting: A Short Course. Manchester: St. Jerome Publishing, 2005.

Association in the course directory

Last modified: Mo 05.10.2020 10:11