160062 VO Hip Hop: Aesthetics, Culture, Politics (2018W)
- Registration is open from Mo 03.06.2019 00:00 to Su 16.06.2019 17:45
- Deregistration possible until Su 16.06.2019 17:45
3. The Five Tenets (MCing, DJing, graffiti, b-boying/b-girling, knowing),
4. Remix culture,
5. Identity politics (race, class, gender, sexuality),
6. Hip Hop politics: activism and agendas,
7. Genres (gangsta, message rap, black nationalism),
10. Global Hip Hop,
11. Music videos,
12. Film and television,
Assessment and permitted materials
40% - Short questions to test students’ basic understanding of the four core areas.
60% - Extended essay on a topic of the student’s choice demonstrating in-depth critical knowledge of one topic.
Minimum requirements and assessment criteria
- Understand the roots, general history, and main genres and artists of Hip Hop,
- Identify and describe the key aesthetic elements of Hip Hop,
- Analyse how meaning is generated in Hip Hop through its various artistic techniques,
- Understand the idea of Hip Hop as a global shared language and culture,
- Appreciate the basic shape of the academic literature on Hip Hop,
Critically debate the potential of Hip Hop to bring about social and political change.