Universität Wien FIND

030168 KU International Judicial Decisions and their Political Context (2019S)

3.00 ECTS (2.00 SWS), SPL 3 - Rechtswissenschaften
Prüfungsimmanente Lehrveranstaltung

Details

max. 30 Teilnehmer*innen
Sprache: Englisch

Lehrende

Termine (iCal) - nächster Termin ist mit N markiert

Donnerstag 14.03. 17:00 - 18:00 Seminarraum SEM43 Schottenbastei 10-16, Juridicum, 4.OG (Vorbesprechung)
Freitag 22.03. 17:00 - 20:00 Seminarraum SEM52 Schottenbastei 10-16, Juridicum 5.OG
Donnerstag 02.05. 17:00 - 20:00 Seminarraum SEM52 Schottenbastei 10-16, Juridicum 5.OG
Donnerstag 09.05. 17:00 - 20:00 Seminarraum SEM52 Schottenbastei 10-16, Juridicum 5.OG
Donnerstag 16.05. 17:00 - 20:00 Seminarraum SEM52 Schottenbastei 10-16, Juridicum 5.OG
Donnerstag 23.05. 17:00 - 20:00 Seminarraum SEM52 Schottenbastei 10-16, Juridicum 5.OG
Donnerstag 06.06. 17:00 - 20:00 Seminarraum SEM52 Schottenbastei 10-16, Juridicum 5.OG
Mittwoch 12.06. 17:00 - 20:00 Seminarraum SEM42 Schottenbastei 10-16, Juridicum, 4.OG

Information

Ziele, Inhalte und Methode der Lehrveranstaltung

The class is addressed to law students with at least a basic knowledge of public international law (sources of international law, principles of international law, role of states and individuals). The class will focus on a legal analysis of several decisions rendered by international courts and tribunals during the last decade and put the legal issues in their political context. International affairs and politics continuously shape international law. Up until the early 20th century, international law in fact was not seen as a separate discipline but rather a continuation of politics at the international level. Yet, international law binds states and creates rights and obligations for its subjects. Can political conflicts be settled by law? This will be measured against Martti Koskenniemi's statement that 'Modern international law is an elaborate framework for deferring substantive resolution elsewhere: into further procedure, interpretation, equity, context, and so on.'

Art der Leistungskontrolle und erlaubte Hilfsmittel

Oral presentation of a case, participation in class, final written exam

Mindestanforderungen und Beurteilungsmaßstab

Oral presentation of a case (40%), participation in class (20%), final written exam (40%) - a total of 60% must be reached for a positive assessment

Prüfungsstoff

Students will be provided with basic reading materials on their respective cases, but are expected to conduct further research.

Literatur

will be provided on moodle

Zuordnung im Vorlesungsverzeichnis

Letzte Änderung: Sa 15.06.2019 13:07