• Independence and Impartiality of Arbitrators
• Procedural fairness in investment arbitration
• Transparency in investment arbitration
• Persuasive authority, predictability and consistency in arbitral decision making
• Review of arbitral awards; appeals mechanism?
• Host State (counter)-claims – equality of access to investment arbitration?
• The rule of law component inherent in the non-discrimination standards of MFN and national treatment
• Fair and Equitable Treatment – rule of law components
• Full Protection and Security – rule of law components
• Expropriation – rule of law components
• Investment protection standards and the “right to regulate” (threat to regulatory powers of host states)
S. Chesterman, ‘An International Rule of Law’ (2008) 56 American Journal of Comparative Law 331
M. Jacob and St. W. Schill, ‘Fair and Equitable Treatment: Content, Practice, Method’, in M. Bungenberg, J. Griebel, S. Hobe and A. Reinisch (eds.), International Investment Law. A Handbook (Beck – Nomos – Hart 2015) 700-763.
R. Kläger, Fair and Equitable Treatment in International Investment Law (Cambridge University Press 2011).
A. Kulick (ed.), Reassertion of Control over the Investment Treaty Regime (Cambridge University Press 2017).
A. Reinisch, ‘The Rule of Law in International Investment Arbitration’, in P. Pazartzis, M. Gavouneli et al. (eds.), Reconceptualising the Rule of Law in Global Governance, Resources, Investment and Trade (Hart 2016) 291-307.
M. Sattorova, ‘International Investment Treaties and the Promise of Good Governance: Norm and Institutional Design, Internalisation, and Domestic Rule-Making’, in A. Reinisch, M. Footer and C. Binder (eds.), International Law and… Select Proceedings of the European Society of International Law (Hart 2016) 131-147.
St. W. Schill, ‘Fair and Equitable Treatment, the Rule of Law and Comparative Public Law’ in St. W. Schill (ed.), International Investment Law and Comparative Public Law (Oxford University Press 2010) 151-182.
St. W. Schill, ‘Fair and Equitable Treatment under Investment Treaties as an Embodiment of the Rule of Law’ (2006) 3(5) Transnational Dispute Management available at www.transnational-dispute-management.com.
United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), Fair and Equitable Treatment: A Sequel (United Nations 2012).
G. van Harten, Investment Treaty Arbitration and Public Law (Oxford University Press 2007).
G. van Harten, ‘Investment Treaty Arbitration, Procedural Fairness, and the Rule of Law’ in St. W. Schill (ed.), International Investment Law and Comparative Public Law (Oxford University Press 2010) 627-657.
M. Waibel et al (eds.), The Backlash against Investment Arbitration: Perceptions and Reality (Kluwer Law International 2010).
D. Gaukrodger and K. Gordon, ‘Investor-State Dispute Settlement: A Scoping Paper for the Investment Policy Community’, OECD Working Papers on International Investment, No. 3 (OECD Publishing 2012).
D. Krishan, ‘Thinking about BITS and BIT Arbitration: The Legitimacy Crisis that Never was’, in T. Weiler and F. Baetens (eds.), New Directions in International Economic Law: in memoriam Thomas Wälde (Nijhoff 2011) 107-150.