040578 EK EC GCM: International Strategic Management (EK) (2021W)
- Anmeldung von Mo 13.09.2021 09:00 bis Do 23.09.2021 12:00
- Abmeldung bis Fr 15.10.2021 23:59
Termine (iCal) - nächster Termin ist mit N markiert
Hörsaal 16 Oskar-Morgenstern-Platz 1 2.Stock
Hörsaal 16 Oskar-Morgenstern-Platz 1 2.Stock
Ziele, Inhalte und Methode der Lehrveranstaltung
Art der Leistungskontrolle und erlaubte Hilfsmittel
Project Option I
The team(s) will choose a company operating successfully in the EU and will perform an in-depth analysis of this entity (along with the industry in which it is operating) focusing upon the key dimensions of its strategic management effort. The scope/size of the project organisation does not matter - i.e. it could be as small as a (single) retail outlet operating in just one city or as large as an MNE - what matters the most is the technical accuracy (i.e., how well does the team apply strategic management concepts learned in the course). The specific task at hand is to collect information relating to various components of strategic management effort using options such as: (1) The teams could approach a firm and gather information/data through direct interactions (face-2-face, telephone, mail etc.) with the appropriate officials in that firm; (2) they could gather relevant information/data from secondary sources like web, company documents or research reports. However, it is advisable for the teams to prefer the first option for gathering the data/information as it may eventually lead to superior learning and evaluation outcomes.
Project Option II
After having scanned the local business environment of Vienna, the team will set up a business concern and develop a strategic business plan for it. The entity selected for this purpose could be anything like a restaurant, amusement park, fitness studio (may be for females), sports complex, hospital, or business school etc. While reporting the elements constituting the external environment and the opportunities and threats posed by this external environment have to be as factual and logical as possible. However, for the internal environment, the team can make reasonable assumptions while elaborating upon the strengths and weaknesses of the hypothetical concern while making an appeal to the resource-based view (RBV) of the firms. The strategic plan needs to exhaustively take into account the elements like environmental analysis (SWOT), strategy, implementation and contingencies etc. The deliverable of the team project would be a 15-20 pages Formal Report that should present an exhaustive discussion on the following;
1. A vision that gives meaning to all the firm’s stakeholders of the firm’s objectives.
2. A strategic plan that operationalises the goals and objectives of the firm.
3. The resource endowments specific to the firm and those that are homogeneous to industry participants.
4. Specification of the current and desired strategic positioning in order to respond to market demands.
5. The means necessary to implement the strategic plan while taking into account the functional areas of business.
6. The means to evaluate the overall strategic management effort.A detailed description of the project report would be supplied as one element of the course material.
The deadline for submission of the project report is 15.01.2022. The submission would be made electronically.
(3) Class participation: Classes would be conducted digitally. The students needs to stay present at least for half of the stipulated time in those virtual sessions in order to earn the points allocated for the attendance.
Mindestanforderungen und Beurteilungsmaßstab
Group Assignment 30%
Class participation 10%
The assessment weights could be re-assigned to Exam. as 50%, Group Assignment 40% and class participation 10%, if the exam. has to be organised digitally, due to any pandemic protocols interventions.) The exam. date may also be rescheduled to allow maximum chances of an on the campus event. However, course participants would be informed about it in due course of time.
Minimum Requirements: For successful completion of the course, a student must secure at least 50% score in the written examination and should reflect at least 75% attendance in the class room sessions organised on-campus and/or digitally.
2. Business-level strategies
3. Corporate strategies
4. Functional strategies
5. Strategy implementation
6. Evaluating and controlling the strategic effort
7. Ethics and the strategic management
2. Peng M.W. (2017) Global Business. 4th edition. South-Western, Cengage Learning
3. Hill C.W.L. International Business: Competing in the Global Marketplace. 9th edition. McGraw-Hill/Irwin