150057 SE Economic Development in East Asia (2019S)
- Anmeldung von Fr 01.02.2019 10:00 bis Mo 25.02.2019 10:00
- Abmeldung bis Fr 22.03.2019 10:00
Termine (iCal) - nächster Termin ist mit N markiert
Ziele, Inhalte und Methode der Lehrveranstaltung
Art der Leistungskontrolle und erlaubte Hilfsmittel
Each student will have to take part in a multiple choice exam on the theories of economic development. More details on this assignment will be provided during class. Please note that this also involves reading multiple sources.
Furthermore, each student is required to actively contribute to one team presentation. This includes joint handouts with the key points on the assigned topic, and joint PPT presentations. Handouts and PPTs must be submitted electronically 24 hours before the course begins via Moodle. More details on the assignment will be provided during class.
The final assignment will be a term paper. More details on this assignment will be provided during class. Writing the term paper will require extensive reading. You are strongly advised to start early: think about your topic and acquaint yourself with the state of the art in that particular field.
To adjust the workload, we will occasionally skip single units and allot this time to the preparation of the team presentations and other assignments.
Mindestanforderungen und Beurteilungsmaßstab
Please note: To ensure a smooth proceeding of the seminar, please be on time. Students who are late by more than 10 minutes will not be able to sign the attendance list.
(2) M/C exam on the theories of economic development: The exam will cover the elements of the first three classes (classical, neoclassical, and heterodox theories of development). The exam will not be repeated, so make sure to attend.
(3) Team presentation: All members of the team will receive the same grade, notwithstanding their individual contribution or their performance during the presentation. So make sure to organize work well and according to the individual strengths of the team members.
(4) Term paper: Students are required to write a term paper (Seminararbeit). Details including layout and grading criteria will be announced during class. The term papers are due on August 30, 2018, thus leaving you the summer break to finish them. It is highly advisable that you aim for a much earlier date. Delays, even if caused by unforeseen events, are at your own risk. Term papers will only be accepted via Moodle as PDF. Please do not submit any other file formats.
The following rules apply to late submission of all assignments: A delay in submission of up to 1 week will result in downgrading by one full grade. A delay in submission of up to 2 weeks will result in downgrading by two full grades, and so forth.
The final grade for the course will be calculated as follows:
M/C exam: 25%
Team presentation: 15%
Term paper: 45%Please note: The term paper is an indispensable component of the seminar, in particular as it serves as a direct preparation for the MA thesis. It thus legally amounts to a minimal requirement (“Mindestanforderung”). In order to finish the course, students must have their term paper graded with at least “4”. Students who fail to submit a term paper will be graded “5” for the seminar regardless of their other achievements.