150086 SE Economic Systems in East Asia (2021W)
- Anmeldung von Mi 01.09.2021 10:00 bis Mi 29.09.2021 10:00
- Abmeldung bis Fr 29.10.2021 10:00
Termine (iCal) - nächster Termin ist mit N markiert
Please note that this course will start at 13:00 sharp (NOT 13:15). The first class takes place on October 05, 2021, ONLINE via Moodle/Zoom. Make sure not to miss that class.
Ziele, Inhalte und Methode der Lehrveranstaltung
Art der Leistungskontrolle und erlaubte Hilfsmittel
In its first part, this is a text-based seminar. Accordingly, in preparation of each unit, students will be asked to read related book chapters or articles. This will create a foundation for active participation during the seminar. Expect reading about 40 pages per week.
You will have to write one multiple-choice test on the key elements of the first, theoretical part of this seminar.
In addition, each student will be required to actively contribute to six group presentations during which selected aspects of economic systems will be compared among China, Japan, and South Korea. This task includes the preparation and uploading of recorded PPT presentations on Moodle. Details of the assignments are specified in a separate document.
The main student contribution will be a term paper (see below).
I know that many of you are interested in knowing more about other countries of East Asia, including Southeast Asia. For reasons of time, our case studies focus on China, Japan and Korea. But you can use the knowledge gained during the seminar to explore the economic systems of these countries in your term paper.Assessment
(1) The m/c test will be held online. The date will be November 09, 2021. There will be no alternative date for this test; please make sure that you can participate. If you already know that this will not be possible, you should not register for this course.
(2) For the group presentations, every member of the group will receive the same grade. I know this can be frustrating, mostly due to actual or assumed free riding etc. Try to see it positively and take it as an exercise on how to deal with such phenomena, since – like it or not – you will encounter them often in your professional life. Develop your own strategies: find allies, motivate team mates, find ways to sanction them if they do not cooperate, or just make your peace with reality.
(3) Students are required to write a term paper (Seminararbeit). Details including structure, layout and grading criteria will be discussed in great detail during the exercise course. The term papers are due at 23:59 on March 28, 2022. Term papers will only be accepted in electronic form via Moodle as either a WinWord, OpenOffice or a similar file where I can count the words.
A delay in term paper submission of up to 1 week will result in downgrading by one full grade. A delay in term paper submission of up to 2 weeks will result in downgrading by two full grades, and so forth.
The final grade for the course will be calculated as follows:
• M/C test: 14%
• Group presentations: 6% each (total: 36%)
• Term paper: 50%
Mindestanforderungen und Beurteilungsmaßstab
• In order to finish the course successfully, you must submit all three assignments as listed above.
• The term paper is an indispensable component of the seminar, in particular as it serves as a direct preparation for the MA thesis. The term paper is a minimal requirement (“Mindestanforderung”) must thus be passed in order to pass the whole course.
• Students who get a “5” for their term paper or fail to submit a term paper will be graded “5” (fail) for the whole seminar regardless of the other assignments.Registration
You have registered via the electronic registration system of the University of Vienna. This registration, combined with participation in at least one session is equivalent to a legally binding registration for examination. In other words, you will be graded. De-registration for this course will be possible for a limited time in accordance with the regulations of the University of Vienna.Please note: Maintaining your registration for the seminar will be regarded as agreement with these terms.