160061 VO Popular Music and Society (2020S)
Termine (iCal) - nächster Termin ist mit N markiert
Ziele, Inhalte und Methode der Lehrveranstaltung
Art der Leistungskontrolle und erlaubte Hilfsmittel
A. Short questions to determine students basic understanding of material covered in lecture (60%);
B. Essay on subject of student's choice (40%).UPDATE 20.05.2020: The first exam (24 June) will be a digital "take home exam".
UPDATE 22.06.2020: The second exam (28 September) will be a digital "take home exam".
UPDATE 24.09.2020: Also the third (9 November) and fourth exam (11 January) will be a digital "take home exam".
Further information to be found on Moodle.The exam will now be only B. from above, so the essay on a subject of the student's choice will constitute the whole exam. The 'take-home exam' will be posted on Moodle on 24 June (original exam date). You should submit your essay then by 30 June.
Mindestanforderungen und Beurteilungsmaßstab
- understand popular music as a complex social and material process comprising numerous agents and institutions;
- see popular music texts not as autonomous art works but as media through which people enter into a range of social practices;
- situate individual popular music practices within larger economic, social, and political contexts;
- think critically about the different meanings and values ascribed to popular music by the stakeholders (industry executives, musicians, critics, fans).
- Business models
- A&R (Artists and repertoire)
- Marketing and distribution
- Rights and piracy issuesThe Creative Process
- Social background
- The role of the producerTexts and Sounds
- Popular music as communication
- Identities (gender, sexuality and race)
- Music videosAudiences
- Fans as consumers and producers
- Subcultures and scenes
- Spaces and places
- Everyday life
Zuordnung im Vorlesungsverzeichnis
MA: M02, M03, M04, M05, M11, M13, M15, M16