240050 VS Labor and the Tranformation(s) of Modern Social Conflict (3.3.2) (2012W)
- Anmeldung von Sa 01.09.2012 00:01 bis So 23.09.2012 23:59
- Abmeldung bis So 14.10.2012 23:59
Termine (iCal) - nächster Termin ist mit N markiert
Ziele, Inhalte und Methode der Lehrveranstaltung
Art der Leistungskontrolle und erlaubte Hilfsmittel
1. Class attendance is mandatory. For excused absences students must contact the
instructor via e-mail before the beginning of the seminar.
2. Students are required to complete all the assigned readings before class and come to
the seminar fully prepared for the discussion.
3. Each student has to introduce one of the key readings. The written presentation is due
24 hours before the seminar (maximum 2 pages) and must be sent via e-mail to the
instructor. Ideally, the oral presentation should take no longer than 20 minutes.
Students are free to use and refer to supplementary readings and material to
strengthen their presentation.
4. It is mandatory for each student, regardless of the reading she/he presents, to prepare
2 comments/questions for every seminar. These can be sent via e-mail to the
instructor or alternatively be handed in during the class.
5. Students are strongly encouraged to read the news.Grading:The final grade will represent an overall evaluation of class participation, class
presentation, and term paper.
1. Class participation means actively taking part in seminar discussions and preparing 2
comments/questions for each seminar (see point 5 for Class Requirements)
2. Class presentation includes both the written hand out (which is sent to the instructor
via e-mail at least 24 hours before the presentation) as well as the oral presentation
during the seminar. Ideally, the presentation of a key reading should include a
summary of the text, the main thesis of the text, comments on the text and questions
vis-à-vis the topic that the text introduces.
3. Term Paper should be between 2000 and 2500 words (references excluded!) and refer
to one or several topics we touched upon during the seminar. It is advisable that
students discuss and consult with the instructor regarding the choice of their topic.
Whenever possible, the instructor will try to offer additional material that is not
available in the library.
Mindestanforderungen und Beurteilungsmaßstab
To get familiar with anthropological approaches and conceptual frameworks in labor
To be able to grasp the nature of social conflicts centred on labor as they have been
historically constituted and spatially located.
To begin to reflect on contemporary transformations of work
instructor and will be followed by presentations of the assigned readings. Students will
present the readings and comment upon them, engaging the rest of the class in a common