270109 VO Colloid and Interface Science (2019W)
Termine (iCal) - nächster Termin ist mit N markiert
Ziele, Inhalte und Methode der Lehrveranstaltung
Art der Leistungskontrolle und erlaubte Hilfsmittel
2 students at a time
Mindestanforderungen und Beurteilungsmaßstab
to be positive: more than half of them answered correctly
- what type of colloidal systems exist?
- what are colloids?
- what are interfaces?
- significant forces between colloidal particles: how they can be calculated in approximation and exactly and how they can be measured?
- how to form emulsions and foams?
- physical properties required for stable foams and emulsions to form
- how to manipulate the wettability of surfaces?
- why surfactants are active at interfaces?
- how to choose type/class of surfactant to use in certain situations? specifically which would be good to form emulsions, as dispersants and good wetting agents? which would be good to destabilise emulsions?
- why are rheological properties important in many applications and how to alter them?
- what is adsorption/absorption? how to describe these phenomena?
- electrical properties of interfaces
- kinetic properties of particles
Stokes R.J. &. Evans D.F, Fundamentals of Interfacial Engineering, Wiley, 1997
Berg, JC An introduction to interfaces and colloids: The bridge to nanoscience
Aveyard, R. and Haydon, D. A. An Introduction to the Principles of Surface Chemistry. University Press: Cambridge, 1973
P. Becher, Emulsions and Emulsion Technology (Marcel Dekker), 1983. (see also 1985, 1987)
M.J. Rosen, Surfactants and Interfacial Phenomena, 3rd Ed., John Wiley & Sons Inc, Chichester, 2004.
K. Holmberg, et al., Surfactants and Polymers in Aqueous Solutions, 2nd Ed., John Wiley & Sons Inc, Chichester, 2003.