Seminar paper, presentation of the paper and participation in the discussion during the seminar sessions.
• National resources: Investment protection v. state regulation?
• Submission of amicus curiae briefs in ICSID proceedings in general and for indigenous peoples in particular (Rule 37/2 ICSID Rules of Procedure).
• Relation between (human) rights of indigenous peoples and the international legal order.
• Interpretation of BITs in the light of international human rights? The supremacy of human rights?
• United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP).
• Protection of indigenous peoples in domestic legal systems and their impact on international law.
• Examples of relevant case law:
- Border Timbers Limited, Border Timbers International (Private) Limited, and Hangani Development Co. (Private) Limited v. Republic of Zimbabwe, ICSID Case No. ARB/10/25.
- Bernhard von Pezold and Others v. Republic of Zimbabwe, ICSID Case No. ARB/10/15.
- Biwater Gauff (Tanzania) Ltd. v. United Republic of Tanzania, ICSID Case No. ARB/05/22.
- Aguas del Tunari, S.A. v. Republic of Bolivia, ICSID Case No. ARB/02/3.
- Grand River Enterprises Six Nations, Ltd., et al. v. United States of America, UNCITRAL.
- Methanex Corporation v. United States of America, UNCITRAL.
- Chevron Corporation and Texaco Petroleum Corporation v. The Republic of Ecuador, UNCITRAL, PCA Case No. 2009-23.
- Burlington Resources Inc. v. Republic of Ecuador, ICSID Case No. ARB/08/5.
M.-C. Cordonier Segger, M.W. Gehring and A.P. Newcombe (eds), Sustainable Development in World Investment Law (Kluwer Law International 2011).
G. Foster, ‘Foreign Investment and Indigenous Peoples: Options for Promoting Equilibrium between economic Development and Indigenous Rights’, Michigan Journal of International Law, Vol. 33:627 (2012).
M. Jacob and St. W. Schill, ‘Fair and Equitable Treatment: Content, Practice, Method’, in M. Bungenberg, J. Griebel, S. Hobe and A. Reinisch (eds.), International Investment Law. A Handbook (Beck – Nomos – Hart 2015) 700-763.
A. Kulick (ed.), Reassertion of Control over the Investment Treaty Regime (Cambridge University Press 2017).
C. Lévesque, ‘The Inclusion of GATT Article XX Exceptions in IIAs: A Potentially Risky Policy’ in: Echandi and Sauvé (eds), Prospects in International Investment Law and Policy (Cambridge University Press 2013) 363.
H. Mann/A. Cosbey/L. Peterson/K. von Moltke, ‘Comments on ICSID Discussion Paper, “Possible Improvements of the Framework for ICSID Arbitration”’; International Institute for Sustainable Development (2004).
M. Paparinskis, ‘Regulatory Expropriation and Sustainable Development’, in: Cordonier Segger, Gehring and Newcombe (eds), Sustainable Development in World Investment Law (Kluwer Law International 2011) 295.
J. Perez/M. Gistelinck/D. Karbala, ‘Sleeping Lions: International investment treaties, state-investor disputes and access to food, land and water’, Oxfam (2011).
A. Reinisch, ‘The Rule of Law in International Investment Arbitration’, in P. Pazartzis, M. Gavouneli et al. (eds.), Reconceptualising the Rule of Law in Global Governance, Resources, Investment and Trade (Hart 2016) 291-307.
M. Sattorova, ‘International Investment Treaties and the Promise of Good Governance: Norm and Institutional Design, Internalisation, and Domestic Rule-Making’, in A. Reinisch, M. Footer and C. Binder (eds.), International Law and… Select Proceedings of the European Society of International Law (Hart 2016) 131-147.
S.W. Schill, C.J. Tams and R. Hofmann (eds.), International Investment Law and Development: Bridging the Gap (Edward Elgar Publishing 2015).
J.E. Viñuales, Foreign Investment and the Environment in International Law (Cambridge University Press 2012).
M. Waibel et al (eds.), The Backlash against Investment Arbitration: Perceptions and Reality (Kluwer Law International 2010).