070192 PS Democracy and Adolescents Lifeworlds (2019W)
- Registration is open from Mo 02.09.2019 08:00 to Fr 20.09.2019 12:00
- Registration is open from We 25.09.2019 08:00 to Mo 30.09.2019 12:00
- Deregistration possible until Th 31.10.2019 23:59
Classes (iCal) - next class is marked with N
Aims, contents and method of the course
Assessment and permitted materials
Students should also prepare one presentation to be delivered in class on one of the topics discussed in class (25%).
The final assessment will consist in one written essay (6-8000 words) on a selected topic discussed in class (50%).
Minimum requirements and assessment criteria
- Anderson, Benedict. 1983. Imagined Communities: Reflections on the Origin and Spread of Nationalism. London: Verso.
- Anderson, Bridget. 2013. Us and them. The dangerous politics of immigration controls. Oxford Univ Press.
- Balibar É.. 2015. Citizenship. Cambridge Polity Press.
- Balibar É., and Immanuel Maurice Wallerstein. 2011. Race, Nation, Class: Ambiguous Identities. London: Verso. Chapter 3: 37-68.
- Banks James, ed. 2004. Diversity and Citizenship Education: Global Perspectives. In particular Parts 1, 2, 4 and 7.
- Benhabib S. 2004. The Rights of Others: Aliens, Residents, and Citizens. Cambridge Univ Press.
- Brubaker R. 2009. ‘Ethnicity, Race, and Nationalism’. Annual Review of Sociology 35 (1).
- Brubaker R. 2010. “Migration, Membership, and the Modern Nation- State: Internal and External Dimensions of the Politics of Belonging”. Journal of Interdisciplinary History, Vol. 1, 61–78.
- Cruikshank B.. 1999. The Will to Empower: Democratic Citizens and Other Subjects. Ithaca, NY: Cornell Univ Press. Pages: 1-29, 67-86.
- De Genova N.. 2004. ‘The Legal Production of Mexican/Migrant “Illegality”’. Latino Studies 2 (2): 160–85.
- Delanty, Gerard. 2007. ‘European Citizenship: A Critical Assessment’. Citizenship Studies 11 (1).
- Du Bois, W.E.B. 1930. The Souls of Black Folk. Chap 1 and 2.
- Fanon Frantz. 2017 . Black Skin, White Masks. London: Pluto Press.
- Hall S., 2011. “Chapter 1: Introduction: Who Needs ‘Identity’?” In: Questions of Cultural Identity. Edited by: S. Hall & P. du Gay.
- Hindess B. 2002. Neo-liberal Citizenship. Citizenship Studies, 6:2, 127-143.
- Isin E. 2009. ‘Citizenship in Flux: The Figure of the Activist Citizen’. Subjectivity 29 (1).
- Isin E. and Ruppert E.. 2015. ‘Citizens and Cyberspace’. In Being Digital Citizens, 19–50.
- Jefferess D. 2012. ‘Unsettling Cosmopolitanism. Global Citizenship and the Cultural Politics of Benevolence’. In Postcolonial Perspectives on Global Citizenship Education, edited by V. Andreotti and Mario T. M. de Souza, 27–46. New York: Routledge.
- Meer, Nasar. 2014. ‘Citizenship’. In Key Concepts in Race and Ethnicity, 19–27. Los Angeles: SAGE.
- Mezzadra S., and Neilson B. 2012. ‘Between Inclusion and Exclusion: On the Topology of Global Space and Borders’. Theory, Culture & Society 29 (4–5): 58–75.
- Nussbaum M. 2002. Education for Citizenship in an Era of Global Connection. Studies in Philosophy and Education, 21: 289–303.
- Papadopoulos D. and Tsianos V. 2013. “After citizenship: autonomy of migration, organisational ontology and mobile commons”, Citizenship Studies 17(2).
- Pawley, Laurence. 2008. ‘Cultural Citizenship’. Sociology Compass 2 (2): 594–608.
- Rogaly, Ben. 2015. ‘Class, Spatial Justice and the Production of Not-Quite Citizens’. In Citizenship and Its Others, edited by B. Anderson and V. Hughes, 157–76. London: Palgrave Macmillan UK.
- Schmid, Veronika, and Mathias Bös. 2012. ‘National Identity, Ethnic Heterogeneity and the New Culturalization of Citizenship’. In El Pueblo Del Estado. Nacionalidad y Ciudadanía En El Estado Constitucional-Democratio., edited by B.A. Corral, Pages: 131–59.
- Somers, Margaret R. 2008. ‘Chapter 7: Fear and Loathing of the Public Sphere’. In Genealogies of Citizenship: Markets, Statelessness, and the Right to Have Rights, 254–89. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Soysal, Nuhoglu Y. 1994: Limits of Citizenship: Migrants and Postnational Membership in Europe. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. Chapter 8, p. 136-162.
- Stevensson Clifford et al. 2015. The Social Psychology of Citizenship: Engagement With Citizenship Studies and Future Research. Journal of Social and Political Psychology, Vol. 3(2), 192–210.
- Turner, Bryan S. 2016. ‘We Are All Denizens Now: On the Erosion of Citizenship’. Citizenship Studies 20 (6–7): 679–92.