160062 VO Hip Hop: Aesthetics, Culture, Politics (2018W)
Classes (iCal) - next class is marked with N
Die Lehrveranstaltung entfällt am DO, 18.10.2018.
Aims, contents and method of the course
Assessment and permitted materials
40% - Short questions to test students’ basic understanding of the four core areas.
60% - Extended essay on a topic of the student’s choice demonstrating in-depth critical knowledge of one topic.
Minimum requirements and assessment criteria
- Understand the roots, general history, and main genres and artists of Hip Hop,
- Identify and describe the key aesthetic elements of Hip Hop,
- Analyse how meaning is generated in Hip Hop through its various artistic techniques,
- Understand the idea of Hip Hop as a global shared language and culture,
- Appreciate the basic shape of the academic literature on Hip Hop,
Critically debate the potential of Hip Hop to bring about social and political change.
3. The Five Tenets (MCing, DJing, graffiti, b-boying/b-girling, knowing),
4. Remix culture,
5. Identity politics (race, class, gender, sexuality),
6. Hip Hop politics: activism and agendas,
7. Genres (gangsta, message rap, black nationalism),
10. Global Hip Hop,
11. Music videos,
12. Film and television,
Association in the course directory
BA (2011): B06, B13, B14, B16, B18, B19
MA: M02, M03, M04, M05, M10, M11, M13, M15, M16