Universität Wien FIND

180087 SE Introduction to Research Methods and Statistics (2022W)

3.00 ECTS (2.00 SWS), SPL 18 - Philosophie
Continuous assessment of course work


Note: The time of your registration within the registration period has no effect on the allocation of places (no first come, first served).


max. 45 participants
Language: German



montags (ab 10.10.22) 18:30-20:00 Uhr im Hörsaal B (NIG, 6.Stock, Psychologie)

MO 10.10.2022 18:30-20:00 Uhr (Hörsaal B, 6.Stock NIG)
MO 17.10.2022 18:30-20:00 Uhr (Hörsaal B, 6.Stock NIG)
MO 24.10.2022 18:30-20:00 Uhr (Hörsaal B, 6.Stock NIG)
MO 07.11.2022 18:30-20:00 Uhr (Hörsaal B, 6.Stock NIG)
MO 14.11.2022 18:30-20:00 Uhr (Hörsaal B, 6.Stock NIG)
MO 21.11.2022 18:30-20:00 Uhr (Hörsaal B, 6.Stock NIG)
MO 28.11.2022 18:30-20:00 Uhr (Hörsaal B, 6.Stock NIG)
MO 05.12.2022 18:30-20:00 Uhr (Hörsaal B, 6.Stock NIG)
MO 12.12.2022 18:30-20:00 Uhr (Hörsaal B, 6.Stock NIG)
MO 09.01.2023 18:30-20:00 Uhr (Hörsaal B, 6.Stock NIG)
MO 16.01.2023 18:30-20:00 Uhr (Hörsaal B, 6.Stock NIG)
MO 23.01.2023 18:30-20:00 Uhr (Hörsaal B, 6.Stock NIG)
MO 30.01.2023 18:30-20:00 Uhr (Hörsaal B, 6.Stock NIG)


Aims, contents and method of the course

Aims and content: The course serves as an introduction to empirical-scientific methods in the field of Psychology. Contents relate to study planning, types of study, methods of data collection, study designs, evaluation methods and quality criteria. After successfully completing the course, students should know the basic principles of empirical research, their different approaches (quantitative, qualitative, …) and areas of application in the field of Psychology. Furthermore, after completing the course, participants should be able to assess the quality of published studies based on the content discussed. With regard to statistical methods, students should know the different areas of application of descriptive statistical and inferential statistical methods and know when which of the methods discussed should be used. The content is presented and discussed on a theoretical level, but also dealt with using practical examples (current, English-language empirical studies). An introduction to statistics and statistical software (SPSS, JASP - with tutorial) is also given.
Method: Work in teams, acquisition of knowledge based on video presentations, forum-based online discussion (Moodle), discussions in units, self-assessment quizzes

Assessment and permitted materials

Presence in units, participation, presentation, protocol, written thesis (independent analysis of an empirical study from the field of psychology + solving short, specified statistical tasks).

Minimum requirements and assessment criteria

Attendance is compulsory in the units and two absences are permitted. Each partial performance is evaluated independently.
Holding a video presentation accounts for 40% of the assessment of the course; the thesis for the remaining 60% (each 30% study, 30% statistical task). For each topic, participants must take part in short self-assessments (accompanying the course), which can be repeated as often as required and all documents can be used for processing. Each self-assessment contains 10 questions with different closed and open answer formats. Feedback on the answered questions is given directly in Moodle. The students also have the opportunity to reflect on the achievement of the learning objectives. In order to successfully complete the course, more than 50% of the total points must be achieved. The following scale applies:
>= 90%: 1
< 90% - 85%: 2
< 85% - 70%: 3
< 70% - 51%: 4
< 50: 5

Examination topics

Reading list

Hussy, W., Schreier, M., & Echterhoff, G. (2013). Forschungsmethoden in Psychologie und Sozialwissenschaften für Bachelor (2. Aufl.). Berlin: Springer.
Döring, N., & Bortz, J. (2016). Forschungsmethoden und Evaluation (5. Aufl.). Berlin: Springer.
Additional literature on Moodle.

Association in the course directory

Last modified: Tu 13.09.2022 18:29