280098 VU MA-ERD-17.15 Remediation of Contaminated Sites (PI) (2020S)
- Registration is open from We 12.02.2020 10:00 to We 26.02.2020 23:59
- Registration is open from Mo 02.03.2020 10:00 to Mo 16.03.2020 23:59
- Deregistration possible until Th 30.04.2020 23:59
Classes (iCal) - next class is marked with N
The Tuesday lecture is dealing with the remediation of organic pollutants while the Wednesday lecture is on the remediation of inorganic pollutants. The students will be informed about changes to this general rule.
Aims, contents and method of the course
Assessment and permitted materials
Remediation of inorganic contaminants (FvdK):
an oral presentation of problem-oriented research papers or reports in the last week of May/beginning of June. Two students share one paper/report. Presentations will be conducted either in class (Wed. 20.05., 27.05., 10.06. - 14:15 - 15:45) or as an on-line lecture via BBB or Zoom. Q & A part after the presentation will also reflect on course content. (50%)Remediation of organic contaminants (TH & TR) , total 50%:
25% exercises assigned by Thorsten Hüffer (due per Mail on May 19th)
25% exercises assigned by Thomas Reichenauer (due on June 2nd).
50% Presentations on distinct remediation technologies in groups of 2 students (presentation online in moodle on May, 5th during the lecture hours).
Minimum requirements and assessment criteria
The presentation evaluation is done according to
1) preparation of the topic
2) use of additional sources and information, also coupling to course content
3) quality of presentation
4) quality and level of the Q&A part of the presentation
5) quality of answers on course content (1 question per student)Remediation of organic pollutants (TH & TR). The students will be assigned topics for group work, which aims at applying the concepts of selected remediation techniques.
concepts of site remediation
practice of site assessment
site characterization strategies
remediation techniques for inorganic contaminantsRemediation of organic pollutants: application of sorption and degradation concepts for remediation, analysis and sampling of soil and groundwater samples, risk assessment and decision making, principle mechanisms, advantages and disadvantages of different remediation techniques; suitable remediation technologies for defined contaminants, contaminated land Management, legal background(s) of remediation of contaminated sites