290144 SE Seminar in Economics (Macroeconomics) (2018W)
Current Debates in Applied Economics
- Registration is open from Th 06.09.2018 07:00 to Th 20.09.2018 07:00
- Deregistration possible until Su 14.10.2018 23:59
Classes (iCal) - next class is marked with N
Aims, contents and method of the course
Assessment and permitted materials
• Elaboration of the topical question
• Historical background of the question
• Methods of Operationalization
• Evidence and opposites, discourses
The work is to be composed and presented by two participants. The joint presentation shall last about 40 minutes.
The work is to be delivered one week before the presentation
Minimum requirements and assessment criteria
Content (25%), the comprehensibility of the lecture (10%), short summary (15%), the scientific method (10%) and the ability to discuss (5%) are evaluated.
Also, each has to make once a prepared discussion contribution (about 5 min) and 2 further ad hoc discussions (15%)
At the end of the semester, a final exam in written form(about 45 minutes) will finalize the evaluation (20%), all the resumes of the papers will be tested
GDP or what - are there alternatives measurement of to wealth and progress?
- Stiglitz-Sen-Fitoussi (2009): Report by the Commission on the Measurement of Economic Performance and Social Progress2.
Economies of Scale and Scope, Network Economies and Entropy - often Forgotten Basics of Economics
- Chandler Alfred D. , Hikino Takashi (1994): Scale and Scope: The Dynamics of Industrial Capitalism (Englisch) Taschenbuch Kap.3.
Causes for the "Dutch disease" - Is the "curse of the resources" mandatory?
- Stevens, P. (2003). Resource impact: curse or blessing? A literature survey. Journal of Energy Literature. 9 (1): 3-424.
How Google became a world power? Peculiarities of network economies
- Shapiro Carl, Varian Hal R. (1999); Information Rules: A Strategic Guide to the Network Economy, Boston: Harvard Business School Press. Chapter 9
- Keese Christoph (2014): Silicon Valley. In particular, pp. 193-2275.
Can tax cuts finance themselves? Is the Laffer curve correct?
- Udo H. Raab (1995): Public transaction costs and efficiency of the government revenue system. S.199-2406. The Kuznets Curve and Environmental Kuznets Curve. Relation of environmental pollution and prosperity / development - empirics and criticism
- Borghesi Simone (1999): The Environmental Kuznets Curve: a Survey of the Literature. European University Institute
- David Stern: The Rise and Fall of the Environmental Kuznets Curve. World Development. Volume 32, Issue 8, August 2007.
„Double Irish With a Dutch Sandwich“ – Tax Evasion Models of BIG Companies and responding EU-Policy concepts
- Farny Otto et al (2015): Steuerflucht und Steueroasen8.
Health and Inequality: the Discourse on Wilkinson-Picket
- Wilkinson Richard G., Picket Kate E. (2015): Income Inequality and Health: a Causal Review. Social Science & Medicine. 2015 Mar;128:316-269. Global convergence, but divergence at country level? - How does the global income distribution develop?
- Branko Milanovic (2016) The unequal world - migration, the one percent and the future of the middle class. Chapter 3-510.
Piketty! "R> g" as a new key formula?
- Thomas Piketty (2016): Economics of inequality: an introduction. 144 p11.
Schumpeter: Innovation and Creative Destruction (Disruption)
- Joseph A. Schumpeter: Capitalism, Socialism, and Democracy. Ch. VII, VIII, XII12.
Waldviertel-Highway and Regional Development in the View of New Industrial Geography
-Ihara Ryusuke, Machikita Tomohiro: Voting for highway construction in economic geography. The Annals of Regional Science. December 2007, Volume 41, Issue 4, pp 951–96613.
Reindustrialization of the US and Europe?
- Shih W. (2013): The Re-industrialization of the United States? Wirtschaftspolitische Blätter 2/2013. S.297-312
- Aiginger K. (2013): The "Greening" of Industrial Policy, Headwinds and a Possible Symbiosis. WIFO Working Papers, No. 450.
- Peneder M. (2014): Warum die Neue Industriepolitik die Deindustrialisierung beschleunigen wird. FIW-Policy Brief Nr. 2314.
Advertising - necessary for information and competition, or a consequence of oligopolisation
- Naomi Klein (2000): No Logo - the fight of global players for market power, a game with many losers and few winners. Chapters 1, 7, 8, 1815.
„Adam Smith in Beijing“ – How to explain the last decades in China?
-Giovanni Arrighi (2007): Adam Smith in Beijing: last 3 chapters16.
The New Silk Road - the Greatest Investment Strategy in History up to now
- Erebus Wong, Lau Kin Chi, Sit Tsui and Wen Tiejun (January 2017): One Belt, One Road - China's Strategy for a New Global Financial Order. Monthly Review. Vol 68 Issue 08
- Grübler Julia, Stehrer Robert (2017): Die chinesische Investitionsoffensive „One Belt, One Road” - Wirtschaftliche Potenziale für Österreich? Policy Brief Nr. 33, Februar 201717. The Demolition of the „Donauuferbahn” in the Context of Regional and Cli