300011 SE Collection Sciences and Research (2017S)
The course will not only give a theoretical background on Compilation, Conservation and Storage of Scientific Specimens but will also focus on areas like the science-historical aspect of collections, modern collection management techniques (data management, data search and data storage, big data science - gene bank etc., ancientDNA and conservation biology issues), socio-cultural heritage, exhibition's management and archive management. As grounds for guided student research projects, the University's Zoological Collection harbours a comprehensive basis of objects for scientific analysis and examination.
The first Meeting takes places on the 22.03.2017 at 10:15 until 13:00 at the Seminar room of the Department for Theoretical Biology (UZA1, Althanstraße 14, 1090 Wien).
Additional questions may be send via email!
There are six obligate Group Meetings during the semester, and project work can be organised at free will.
2. Meeting: 29.03.2017 Nemeschkal: Taxidermy and Conservation, Collection History
3. Meeting: 26.04.2017 Petrasko: Student Projects, Big Data Sciences
4. Meeting: 03.05.2017 Petrasko: In the Collections of the NHM, Provenience research and ethics
5. Meeting: 17.05.2017 Petrasko: Collections Assessment, Outreach and Marketing Strategies (Guerilla Marketing)
6. Final Meeting: 14.06.2016 Nemeschkal, Petrasko: Student Project PresentationsFurther Information and requests under email@example.com
or following link http://tinyurl.com/h2y8elc.