Universität Wien FIND

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, changes to courses and exams may be necessary at short notice (e.g. cancellation of on-site teaching and conversion to online exams). Register for courses/exams via u:space, find out about the current status on u:find and on the moodle learning platform. NOTE: Courses where at least one unit is on-site are currently marked "on-site" in u:find.

Further information about on-site teaching and access tests can be found at https://studieren.univie.ac.at/en/info.

300146 UE Body plans of anmials, part 2 (2016S)

10.00 ECTS (6.00 SWS), SPL 30 - Biologie
Continuous assessment of course work

preparatory meeting: 02.03.2016



max. 120 participants
Language: German



MI und FR von 14.00-15.30 Uhr im HS 1, und von 15:30 - 17.00 Uhr im ÜR 2+ÜR 3,
Beginn 02.03.2016 um 14 Uhr im HS 1
UZA 1, Biozentrum Althanstraße 14, 1090 Wien


Aims, contents and method of the course

On the basis of selected species, a comparative elaboration of the anatomy and organisation of important animal phyla and subgroups has to be achieved. This Part 2 deals invertebrates from sponges (Porifera) through Spiralia to Echinodermata. After a preparatory lecture, animals are dissected and/or analysed by microscopy of histological sections. Overview and detailed drawings of the objects have to be made.

Assessment and permitted materials

Attendance is verified by checking of the drawings. Performance is evaluated by three mid-term test (10 minutes) and a 90-minutes final exam. Mid-term test contribute 20% each, the final exam 40% to the total grade. A minimum of 60% is required to pass the course.

Minimum requirements and assessment criteria

Students are familiar with the morphology, development, phylogeny, and biology of vertebrates and arthropods. They acquire expertise in animal dissection and light microscopic techniques. Students can interpret morphological characters in comparative and phylogenetic contexts.

Examination topics

Introductory lecture, practical work with stereo and light microscopes, demonstrations, scientific drawing and protocols

Reading list

Westheide & Rieger (Hrg.) Spezielle Zoologie 1 (Wirbellose)

Association in the course directory

B-BZO 2, B-BAN 9, B-BMG 11, B-BMB 10, B-BOE 11, B-BPB 12, B-BPF 8, BZO 2, BAN 6, BMG 10, BMB 10, BOE 11, BBO 8, BPB 11

Last modified: Mo 07.09.2020 15:43