300200 UE DNA sequencing: molecular protocols, Sanger sequencing and NGS (2020W)
a hands-on tutorial
- Registration is open from Th 10.09.2020 08:00 to Th 24.09.2020 18:00
- Deregistration possible until Sa 31.10.2020 18:00
Classes (iCal) - next class is marked with N
Aims, contents and method of the course
Assessment and permitted materials
The initial meeting counts as the first teaching unit and therefore compulsory attendance is obligatory! An absence from the initial meeting without prior agreement (email!) causes de-registration from the course by the leader.
Maximum times allowed absent are 1 day (8 hours) per practical week with cogent excuse (e.g. doctor's confirmation letter, mandatory attendance of other courses or exams).The grading is based on three partial performances (participation, presentation, protocol). Active course participation is to be provided during the practical week, the final presentation on the last course day, and the protocol has to be submitted at a later date.
You must bring a lab coat for the practical laboratory days (not for the initial Meeting and the last course day of presentations)!Beneficial for a positive graduation are:
(1) Basic lab experience (e.g., handling of piston stroke pipettes).
(2) Basic computational experience.
(3) Knowledge for performing a online literature survey.
(4) Ability for team work (usually in groups of 2).Due dates for the written protocol:
First dead-line: 12. February 2021 (with a possibility for corrections).
Final dead-line: 26. February 2021 (no possibility for corrections).
Minimum requirements and assessment criteria
(1) Active participation during the course.
(2) Final presentation of the results as a PPT presentation on the last day of the course (ca. 15 min. allotted for speaking + 5 min. discussion).
(3) Preparation of a written protocol in the style of a scientific publication according to the specifications of the course leader with a later submission date.Assessment of performance:
Each partial performances will be graded individually and will be integrated into the total grading of the course by different percentage points. For a positive total grading a minimum of half of the percentage points for each partial performances have to be reached.
Participation: 12.5% (4 pt.).
Test 1: 12.5% (4 pt.).
Test 1: 12.5% (4 pt.).
Protocol: 62.5% (20 pt).1 = 29-32 pt.
2 = 25-28 pt.
3 = 21-24 pt.
4 = 17-20 pt.
5 = ≤16 pt.
The protocol has to be prepared with content of the course and additional literature.