301853 UE Practical Course in Structural Biology A (2021W)
5.00 ECTS (4.00 SWS), SPL 30 - Biologie
Continuous assessment of course work
Note: The time of your registration within the registration period has no effect on the allocation of places (no first come, first served).
- Registration is open from Th 09.09.2021 08:00 to Th 23.09.2021 18:00
- Deregistration possible until Su 31.10.2021 18:00
max. 20 participants
date: 11.-22.October.2021, 9-16h
place: IT-room, Department of Structural and Computational Biology, VBC , Campus Vienna Biocenter 5
kick-off: IT-room, 11.October, 9:30h
Aims, contents and method of the course
Assessment and permitted materials
The evaluation consists of different performances: active participation and results obtained, written report, theoretical knowledge including final exam.
Minimum requirements and assessment criteria
Compulsory attendance.Theoretical knowledge in basics of structural biology, spectroscopy, and diffraction theory, as well as active participation in conducting experiments and their careful evaluation.Each of the subgrades must have a positive evaluation.
Content of the course units
Association in the course directory
MMB II-3, MMB II-4, MMB W-2, MMB W-3, M-WZB, CHE II-6, PhD MB
Last modified: Th 14.10.2021 12:09
1. Application of optical methods to protein stability (chemical and thermal denaturation followed by absorption, fluoresence, circular dichroism and calorimetry).
2. Applications of NMR spectroscopy to relevant problems of molecular biology. The basic principles of the methodology are explained and demonstrated with practical applications to structural biology.
3. Macromolecular Crystallography. Basic principles of crystallisation and structure solution.