Universität Wien
Warning! The directory is not yet complete and will be amended until the beginning of the term.

400022 SE Visual Framing Analysis (2023W)

Continuous assessment of course work
ON-SITE

Registration/Deregistration

Note: The time of your registration within the registration period has no effect on the allocation of places (no first come, first served).

Details

max. 15 participants
Language: English

Lecturers

Classes (iCal) - next class is marked with N

Monday 04.12. 09:45 - 13:45 C0628A Besprechung SoWi, NIG Universitätsstraße 7/Stg. III/6. Stock, 1010 Wien
Tuesday 05.12. 09:45 - 13:45 Seminarraum 11 Vernetzungsraum für Vienna Doctoral School of Social Sciences, Kolingasse 14-16, OG01
Wednesday 06.12. 09:45 - 13:45 C0628A Besprechung SoWi, NIG Universitätsstraße 7/Stg. III/6. Stock, 1010 Wien
Thursday 07.12. 09:45 - 13:45 C0628A Besprechung SoWi, NIG Universitätsstraße 7/Stg. III/6. Stock, 1010 Wien
Tuesday 12.12. 09:45 - 13:45 C0628A Besprechung SoWi, NIG Universitätsstraße 7/Stg. III/6. Stock, 1010 Wien
Thursday 14.12. 13:15 - 15:15 Seminarraum 2, Währinger Straße 29 1.UG

Information

Aims, contents and method of the course

The course focuses on visual framing analysis from a social science perspective and identifies methods to investigate visuals in different types of content, including traditional media, social media, or online news coverage. Four levels of visual framing will be used as a baseline during the semester: visuals as denotative systems, visuals as stylistic-semiotic systems, visuals as connotative systems and visuals as ideological representations (Rodriguez & Dimitrova, 2011). Different methodological tools such as surveys, experiments, content analyses, rhetorical criticism as well as newer computational analysis tools for visual classification will be covered. Class examples will touch upon various topical areas such as elections, global migration, cultural stereotypes, protest and police brutality as well as civil society activism and war framing.

Assessment and permitted materials

Minimum requirements and assessment criteria

The course will cover theoretical concepts in the first part of each session and applied activities in the second half, engaging with examples from a wide range of disciplines such as anthropology, communication science, health and climate science, sociology, political science, and international development studies. The methodological skills gained during the course will be used to produce a final paper, which will account for 70% of the grade. The remaining 30% will be based on individual class assignments.

Examination topics

tba

Reading list

D’Angelo, P. (2018). Doing news framing analysis II: Empirical and theoretical perspectives. Routledge.

Dan, V. (2018). Integrative framing analysis: Framing health through words and visuals. Routledge.

Grabe, M. E., & Bucy, E. P. (2009). Image bite politics: News and the visual framing of elections. Oxford University Press.
Henderson, L., Forster, R. T., Kalili, L., & Guillory, S. (2021). Visual framing effects of news coverage of police use of deadly force on intergroup relationships. Howard Journal of Communication, 3(1), 24-44.
Rodriguez, L., & Dimitrova, D. (2011). The levels of visual framing. Journal of Visual Literacy, 30(1), 48-65.

Association in the course directory

Last modified: Mo 04.12.2023 12:27